Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day or Forced Relaxation

It's Labor Day. In the past, we've spent this day picnicing or bike riding; doing something fun and exhausting. but this year is different.

Harry came home sick from school on Friday. Actually he was sick on thursday but we couldn't convince him to stay home on Friday. So he went to Seminary and then I dropped him at school. He didn't even make it to 1st period. His temp was 101. By the time he got to the Dr. it was 102. So lots of rest, cough syrup, antibiotics, and no activity.

Saturday, I puttered around, cleaning out dish cupboards, doing laundry. Harry's girlfriend came over and took Sabrina to the mall. Harry slept. Sandi came over and made dinner and then Rebecca brought Sabrina home and we let Harry up to watch a movie with them.

The rest of the weekend has been spent in forced relaxation. We've slept in, watched movies, read; I went for a swim, and Harry has played video games. It hasn't been easy. I've had to talk myself out of ironing or cleaning out more cupboards.

But really what's Labor Day all about? Isn't it suppposed to be spent resting from labor? Why is it so hard? Why do we feel like we have to fill every extra moment with some activity?

So I am doing my part today to be free of labor...Well at least until I have to start the BBQ.

2 comments:

kashurst said...

Labor Day does seem to make people want to do the work that normally doesn't get done. I really do wish I had some forced relaxation right about now!

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.

Followers