Monday, December 13, 2010

It Was My Birthday!

Thursday was my birthday! Having a birthday in December can sometimes be a little disappointing, having to compete with Christmas. But mine is a whole 2 weeks before, so instead of competing, it kind of heralds in the season. A lot of my favorite Christmas decorations came to me as birthday gifts.

I'm not shy about my birthday. I want it remembered. This year I turned 58. 58! What a shock! As I was doing the math, more than once out of disbelief, my granddaughter asked if I was going to die soon. I reassured her that I am planning to be around for a long, long time.

I refuse to be old and have decided that 58 is the new 28. When I look in the mirror I never expect to see the wrinkled, tired, and a tad saggy face that stares back at me. In my head my face is young and thin, with only the happiest laugh lines around my eyes.

And no old lady gifts for me! No night gowns, no bottles of lotion, or silly sweaters (ok, sometimes I like a good, old lady, over-embellished sweater). This year my grandchildren gave me the Rex walking dinosaur from Toy Story (the only thing on my birthday list). He joins the rest of my collection of dinosaurs. They gave me a new snowman book to read to them and a picture with Santa. And as I'm writing this, I'm wearing the cutest slippers that Kelly knit and felted for me.

But the funnest present; the one that made me realize I am not an old lady, was the Red Wii. What a gift! What fun! What laughter! I completely forgot that I'm not supposed to be silly. I danced to the Just Dance 2 game (scoring 8,000- far more than anyone else). I hooped and hollered at Nate while trying to shoot ducks. I totally felt like the 28 year old I am in my head.

All in all it was the best birthday ever- Well, until next year anyway.

1 comment:

Biz said...

My 6-year-old asked me in church, "Mom, were you born in 1830?" I told her no, not even my great-great-grandparents were born then. She said, "Oh." and went back to her church history pictures.

A minute later she asked, "How about 1846?"

Sigh.

Followers