Tuesday, December 8, 2009

O Christmas Tree

On Face Book, there were a few postings about decorating Christmas trees. You know... fake or real, kids decorating, nonbreakable or breakable ornaments.

A lot of families decorate the tree together. The kids putting all the ornaments on one branch. This year, my son's family surrounded their tree with one of those corral baby pens. OK OK it was my idea. They have 3 kids, the youngest is one and very "grabby". So the corral is working nicely.

I've tried the whole everybody decorates. I even tried having everyone make wishes with each ornament, but they always got bored and I ended up finishing.

So now the task is totally mine. It could be because the tree is huge and it takes hours. Or it could be because I'm picky about where the ornaments go.

Occasionally I can get someone to help for a half hour or so. Before we got the fake tree, Kelly would help put the lights on if she was home. (BTW, that's why we have a fake tree- I just can't put lights on anymore.) Last year Sabrina helped for awhile. This year Harry helped with the beads.


But don't feel sorry for me. I kinda, secretly like it. I put on Christmas music and take my time and remember why I love certain ornaments and laugh over and wonder why I bought other ones.

This is an ornament I bought the year we lived in Pensecola, Florida. It's old and one of my favorites.

This is one of a pair of little angels that were on mine and Jeanette's first Christmas present. When I hang them on the tree I remember how great it is to be a twin and all the Christmases Jeanette and I have shared.

We bought this angel Lab after our own Taffy dog died. I hang it high in the tree.

Harry when he was three. The one odd ornament on an otherwise fancy tree.

This is a round , sweet, snow gramma. I like to think it's me.

I collect figurines by this artist. She is influenced by Tim Burton. I love the skinny arms and legs.

This is a new ornament. I love ornaments that look antique and are sparkly.

This one was free.

Some years I think to myself, "I am not getting all that stuff out." But then I get to thinkin about all the cute Christmas things and how much I like looking at them and pretty soon all the decorations are out.

I could point to every Christmas decoration in my house and tell you why I bought it or made it or why it was given to me and why it is so important to me.

Maybe that's why we decorate so much at Christmas- to remember. I remember the wonder of my childhood, the love of my parents and now, my children.

As I decorate, I am reminded of fun times and sad times. I'm reminded to be grateful for my home and my family and for Christmases past, present, and future.

1 comment:

kashurst said...

I'm sorry I'm not there any more to help. But I thought of you and all the times we decorated together this year while I decorated my own tree!

Followers