Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Anniversary


In 4 days, rich and I will have been married for 36 years.


We met in high school-sophomore year. He remembers me in Mr. Thornburg's history class. I don't remember him until we did a project together for our Driver's Ed. class. He was kind of a know-it-all that I wish would be absent so I wouldn't have to talk to him. We had friends in common-he dated one of my best friends until we were seniors. But I really didn't know him.


After high school, I went off to BYU-he went off to DeAnza in protest of being bumped from Annapolis. 2 years went by. Then we met again on a group date to the county fair. For some reason I found him attractive in a "geeky" kind of way. He had recently decided to enlist in the Navy and find some way to recapture his dream.


I remember our first kiss at Vasona Lake Park in Los Gatos. He showed me the stars, carved our initials i n a tree, and I thought he was so sweet.
We went to the beach with friends and I rode on his motorcycle. We went to the Renaissance Faire (on his motorcycle). I wish I could find the drawing I did of him while he was asleep. He put a new clutch cable in my VW.
I dated a lot of guys and Rich really was the most polite, courteous, and nicest of them all. Ya know what? He still is - a lot of the time- in that open the car door for you; "you look pretty today, dear" kind of way.

When he found out he was about to be stationed on a ship in Guam, we ran away and got married. We ate at McDonald's for our wedding dinner.



So...36 years later...4 kids...several moves and job changes...here we are. We love spending time together, even if it's doing different things in the same room. He buys me Tulips in the spring. I try to put up with his snoring. We argue and laugh. Our kids think we're cute.

I wonder what the future will bring.


P.S. Yeah, I know, it sounds all "rosey", but it's our anniversary- I didn't want to ruin it.

1 comment:

kashurst said...

I remember once I asked you why you married dad. You said, "He was the nicest." And I think that is some of the best advice on who to marry! I try to pass it along to anybody and everybody! You both make me happy!

Followers