Friday, April 30, 2010

The Talent Show


Rich and I went to Harry's High School talent show tonight. We were surprised at the talent.

Everyone is so worried about the disappearance of the arts in our schools- especially here in California. When cuts need to be made, it's never in the sports department- no one would ever cut funding to Football. But music and art and drama- somehow they are never important enough.

And yet I saw some really amazing singing, piano playing, dancing, even spoons tonight. The winner played the ukulele. I guess funding can be cut from the arts but not talent. Whether it's parents providing lessons and support or just the shear desire of the student to perform-the arts are still alive.

It was so encouraging to see teenagers applauding and cheering each other on- whether the performance was outstanding or a little off. It made me glad to be a parent of a teenager. Harry had a very small part playing the box drum in a small group and yet as we were leaving so many told him he had done a great job.

I'm a great believer in the importance of the arts in school. I wish somehow the powers that be would come to the realization that the greatest minds of all time were artists of some kind- I don't think Leonardo DaVinci played football, Einstein was not the most popular student in his class, and Mozart probably didn't win a state championship.

1 comment:

kashurst said...

Hear, hear!!! I'm sure by the time Roko is in High school there will be no art. Makes me said that the thing that has defined societies for centuries, is so unimportant to the people who are supposedly looking out for it's future. Does that make any sense?

Followers